October 19, 2009

Sensory Memory


An example of sensory memory from my experience is when I was in high school. In the photography class, there are many steps you have to do developing the film. The most crucial part is the first step -- getting the film out without burning the film. In order to do that, I would have to go to the "dark" (total black) room to take the roll of film out, cut a part of the film and put the film inside the canister. To be able to perform this, I had to remember where things are visually and by sense of touch before I close the door to start the process. It was like being a blind person. I was able to see absolutely nothing, but what helped was the sensory memory -- the visual things that were imprinted in my head helped keep a vivid memory to locate where things are and get the visual image of what I was touching.