October 19, 2009

Short-Term vs. Long-Term Memory


An example of a short-term memory in my experience is trying to deal with phone numbers. My friend would tell me her phone number when I didn't have my phone and paper with me, so I had to remember by memory. I had to say it over and over to really get it in my head, but being distracted from other things while walking home, bumping into another friend of mine and started talking -- it was impossible to recall back that number. By the time I get home there would be no trace of memory to get that phone number back that I have been trying to remember in my head. Compare to long-term memory, I would remember a person's phone number when I see them and hang out with them all the time because I would have to talk to them many times on the phone to the point that I would remember the phone number.